Sunday, March 23, 2008

Happiness

I think I found a picture that best defines the word "happy".


We spent Saturday night with a bunch of friends for an annual get-together and The Kid had the time of her life. Come to think of it, the Wife and I did too.

I spent a goodly portion of Sunday cleaning up the back yard. We have a pretty small yard, but there are about 30 Liquidambar styraciflua trees. In case you're unfamiliar with this particular fauna, they're known in the virnacular as sweetgum trees. They provide wonderful shade in the summer, but there is a downside. They have seed pods. Lots and lots of seed pods. They're about an inch across, and these trees drop loads of them.

How many do they drop? Well, this morning I raked up 8 trash bags' worth of these things. 8 thirty gallon trash bags. Still, that's not the worst it's ever been. Last year, I filled up 15 trash bags in one day. I had to use a snow shovel to scoop them up.
The Kid makes me happy. Sweetgum trees, not so much.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

They have to be good for something. Firestarters?? Sell them for anti-cat mulch.
Kid is happy for sure. Maybe she finds your "8 bags full" amusing.Love ya.

Anonymous said...

OMG she gets cuter and cuter!

I know what you mean about the stuff in the lawn. We live on one acre and have over 40 oak trees...acorns, oh my lord the acorns we have this year. We haven't started raking them yet; I'm sure when we do it will be multiple bags of them. Ick.